St Kilda – 12.8 (80)
Collingwood – 7.10 (52)
St Kilda were simply too good for the Pies. Despite Collingwood’s good start the Saints controlled the game. They stamped their authority on the game in the midfield. They were able to create far more chances for their forwards than the Pies were. The Saints were jubilant in getting the week off. Collingwood disappointed to play Adelaide next week. Injury to Scott Pendlebury early limited Collingwood’s rotations.
An inspiring moment was when Riewoldt shot truly from outside 50. That moment lifted the Saints.
Key players for St Kilda
Nick Riewoldt – Was absolutely fantastic, especially on the lead. His goal kicking was great too. 10 marks, five goals and five tackles is a really good effort on a crook knee. Definitely best on ground for captain amazing.
Sam Fisher – Sheer weight of numbers forces Sam in to the bests. He was great at finding the football. 42 disposals and 16 marks is Gary Ablett-esc.
Brendon Goddard – Even with hamstring problems he still managed to play a great part in the Saint’s plans. As always very effective by foot.
Key players for Collingwood
Travis Cloke – Pushed up the ground to take a lot of marks on the lead. He probably did well because he wasn’t marking Fisher well enough too.
Nick Maxwell – 17 possessions, most of which were damaging whilst he was tagged by Eddy.
Dane Swan – The Brownlow favourite wasn’t at his best but still amassed 24 touches in a game were the Pies were attempting to kick long at every opportunity.
Musings from the match
• Not sure if Rocca was the best inclusion considering Dick kicked 5 in the VFL. He does have the ability to break games open. He really needed to kick a few more to lift his team.
• Scott Pendlebury was a big out as he is one of the most important players for the pies.
• Alan Didak did not stand up. He was well tagged by Jones.
• Big forwards for the Saints were in great nick (no pun intended).
• Milne had a disappointing game, he was clearly not the spark that the Saints wanted instead Andrew McQualter provided that little bit extra for them.
• Crowd was a little bit disappointing for mine. I heard reports that there were more Saints supporters at the ground. This news is clearly manufactured by St Kilda supporters (joking).
• Shane O’Bree was being a dud.
Where to now for both clubs?
Saints will have a well earned rest and play the winner of the Bulldogs vs. Brisbane. Collingwood will play next week against Adelaide. Luckily for Collingwood they have beaten Adelaide recently.